Sunday, September 23, 2012

Introduction to the MCR (Mozambican Cultural Rulebook)

Going a day without observing or hearing about a new "rule" Mozambicans have is a rare thing. These rules are basically cultural norms and control to a degree how people here live their day-to-day lives. Some rules are quite odd, others actually make sense, and the rest only make sense having lived here for a year. Through this blog I hope to pass along stories and cultural experiences of which I observe by means of a "rulebook". Each blog post will be a rule that I have either been explicitly told or a rule that I will create through observations in order to summarize an unique aspect of Mozambican life. The idea of a blog like this is not to make generalizations about Mozambicans or Africans so please take notice that these stories may just be what is found in my neighborhood or within my immediate surrounding. My posts should not be perceived as to make statements about all Mozambicans in general, but to comment on my time spent in Mozambique as an English teacher in the Peace Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment